See Every Angle
If your vehicle didn’t come with a backup camera, you don’t have to resign yourself to not having one. There are plenty of options when it comes to aftermarket backup cameras, so finding an affordable solution is fairly easy. It’s a lot simpler to pinpoint the right backup camera when you are familiar with all of today’s most popular options.
Contact our Solutions Specialists if you’d like to add the enhanced safety features of a backup camera to your car, truck or SUV. We'll guide you in selecting the right unit to fit your needs...and your budget!
We carry all of today’s best aftermarket backup cameras, so shop our selection today!
What to Look For in a Backup Camera
One of the main differences that you’ll encounter when shopping for a backup camera concerns the location in which it will be mounted. The most affordable and easiest option is to buy a backup camera that is mounted on the exterior of your vehicle inside a weatherproof housing. Of course, this will affect the outward appearance of your vehicle, so it may not be right for you.
A less conspicuous option is to choose a so-called keyhole backup camera. These flush-mounted cameras are installed inside of holes that are drilled in the rear bodywork of vehicles. You will have to be willing to have a hole drilled in the bodywork of your car to use this type of camera.
License-plate backup cameras are also quite popular. Some models obscure vehicle tags, though, and that is a no-no in many states. Before spending your money on this option, make sure that it is kosher where you live.
Imaging Sensing Technologies
Another decision you’ll have to make is the type of image-sensing technology that your backup camera will use. There are two main options: complementary metal oxide semiconductor, or CMOS, sensors, and charge-coupled device, or CCD, sensors.
CCD sensors are the gold standard in modern backup cameras. They offer superior resolution, and they are exceptionally sensitive. Not surprisingly, they are also on the pricier end of the scale. If cost is a key concern for you, this may not be the best option.
CMOS sensors are less sensitive, and the resolution that they provide isn’t quite as sharp. However, they go a lot easier on the pocketbook. There are plenty of very effective backup cameras that use CMOS sensors, so you won’t be selling yourself short by investing in one.
You will have to make a few additional decisions before investing in a backup camera:
- Low-light and night-vision cameras are available. If you do a lot of driving at night, you might want to buy one.
- View – Most backup cameras display images in reverse, but some models allow you to switch to normal view as well.
- Auto-On – The vast majority of backup cameras automatically switch on when you put your car in reverse.
- Angle of View – Several different options are available when it comes to a camera’s angle of view, so be sure to explore them thoroughly.
Blind Spot Detection
The blind spot monitor is a vehicle-based sensor device that detects other vehicles located to the driver’s side and rear. Its warnings were mostly audible but now include visual, vibrating, and tactile feel. Originally found in rear bumpers to alert the driver of an obstruction when backing up, they are more commonly being added to side view mirrors or incorporated into body panels.
Blind spot detection and lane departure avoidance systems are a great combination for safety on the roads.
Ask us about outfitting your vehicle! We carry universal and manufacturer-specific systems.
The industry's first smart rear-view mirror with dash cam video recorder, Bluetooth, rear and side view camera function with optional iGO navigation.
- 7.8" WIDE-SCREEN WVGA TFT DISPLAY FULL ANDROID™ OPERATING SYSTEM
- TOUCH-FREE CONTROLS - Built-in proximity sensor, to control settings/obtain video driving snapshots.
- BUILT-IN HD DRIVING VIDEO RECORDER - 180 Degree Wide-angle view, 6-layered camera lens, CCD sensors for 1080 x 720 HD output
- FM RADIO TRANSMITTER - Set radio station and use the vehicle's speakers to hear clear voice prompts.
- HANDS-FREE BLUETOOTH® CALLS - built-in microphone minimizing noise to deliver clear calls using vehicle's speakers.
- CUSTOMIZABLE SETTINGS - Connect to Wi-Fi, create a Wi-Fi hotspot & stream the Wi-Fi signal to your mirror.